President Obama speaks Feb. 5 in Washington, D.C. (Brendan Smialowski / AFP via Getty Images)
President Obama will not release his proposed fiscal 2014 budget for at least another month, according to a memo last week from Defense Department Deputy Comptroller John Roth.
“We understand that the President intends to submit the top-level budget to the Congress in mid-March, with the delivery of all justification material later in the month,” Roth said in a Feb. 5 memo to senior financial managers outlining the steps needed to wrap up work on DoD’s portion of the request. A copy of the memo was obtained by Defense News, a sister publication of Federal Times.
The fiscal 2014 request was legally supposed to go to Capitol Hill on Feb. 4.
The White House notified lawmakers last month that it would miss that deadline, but administration officials have not said when they will release it.
The top-level version of the budget would likely include the amount the administration wants next year for each agency, accompanied by numbers spelling out what the White House is seeking for personnel, operations and maintenance and other “functional areas,” said Stan Collender, a former congressional budget committee staffer now at Qorvis Communications.
An Office of Management and Budget spokeswoman did not respond to a request for confirmation late last week.