We obtained all 687,687 employee responses to statements measuring job satisfaction on the 2012 Federal Employee Viewpoint Survey. We focused on responses to 22 survey questions related to employees’ satisfaction with their supervisors, managers and agency leaders. Employees could respond in one of six ways: agree, strongly agree, disagree, strongly disagree, neither agree nor disagree, or do not know. We assigned values to those responses: 1 for agree, 2 for strongly agree, -1 for disagree, -2 for strongly disagree and zero for neither agree nor disagree. Responses of “do not know” were excluded from our data. We then derived the average response value for each question for all 292 agencies surveyed.
This chart shows the 10 most and 10 least satisfied agencies in those three categories. Note: The data reflect a representation only of the individuals who answered the survey — we did not weight the data.
Rankings are based on responses to the following survey questions:
42. My supervisor supports my need to balance work and other issues.
43. My supervisor/team leader provides me with opportunities to demonstrate my leadership skills.
44. Discussions with my supervisor/team leader about my performance are worthwhile.
45. My supervisor/team leader is committed to a workforce representative of all segments of society.
46. My supervisor/team leader provides me with constructive suggestions to improve my performance.
47. Supervisors/team leaders in my work unit support employee development.
48. My supervisor/team leader listens to what I have to say.
49. My supervisor/team leader treats me with respect.
50. In the last six months, my supervisor/team leader has talked with me about my performance.
51. I have trust and confidence in my supervisor.
52. Overall, how good a job do you feel is being done by your immediate supervisor/team leader?
55. Managers/supervisors/team leaders work well with employees of different backgrounds.
56. Managers communicate the goals and priorities of the organization.
57. Managers review and evaluate the organization’s progress toward meeting its goals and objectives.
58. Managers promote communication among different work units.
59. Managers support collaboration across work units to accomplish work objectives.
60. Overall, how good a job do you feel is being done by the manager directly above your immediate supervisor/team leader?
53. In my organization, leaders generate high levels of commitment and motivation in the workforce.
54. My organization’s leaders maintain high standards of honesty and integrity.
61. I have a high level of respect for my organization’s senior leaders.
64. How satisfied are you with the information you receive from management on what’s going on in your organization?
66. How satisfied are you with the recognition you receive for doing a good job?