Mark Lambert is a former head of the Combined Federal Campaign for the Office of Personnel Management. (Staff)
The Combined Federal Campaign officially kicks off its 2013 fundraising drive Wednesday amid the likelihood of significant organizational and administrative changes ahead.
The three-and-a-half-month-long campaign will run through Dec. 15.
The Office of Personnel Management is weighing almost 1,400 comments — many of them critical — from federal employees, CFC charities and other participants on its proposal to overhaul of the campaign’s structure. OPM proposes supplanting local federal coordinating committees with a regional approach, shifting to all-electronic giving, and requiring participating charities to pay an application fee.
Mark Lambert, an OPM official who headed the campaign from 2008 to 2010, predicts the plan will attract new donors and contributions. While last year’s CFC raised almost $260 million in pledges, that total marked the third straight yearly decline.
Rep. Blake Farenthold, R-Texas, who chairs the House subcommittee that oversees the campaign, said at a July hearing that some aspects of the agency’s blueprint are untested and questioned whether OPM can successfully pull them off. While OPM does not have a timetable for issuing the final plan, it will do so as soon a possible, Lambert said at that hearing.