Advertisement

You will be redirected to the page you want to view in  seconds.

Victims of cyber attack against DOE now number 53,000

Sep. 6, 2013 - 07:34AM   |  
By ANDY MEDICI   |   Comments

A cyber attack last month at the Energy Department originally thought to have exposed the personal information of 14,000 employees actually compromised 53,000 current and former employees and members of their families, according to the agency.

In an Aug. 30 email to agency employees, Jonathan Levy, deputy chief of staff, said the names, birth dates and Social Security numbers were affected. The agency is offering a year of credit monitoring to affected people, he added.

“I want to assure you that the department takes this incident very seriously and is implementing improvements to prevent future incidents. The department sincerely regrets this incident and the inconvenience it has caused the affected individuals,” Levy said.

The agency will notify everyone affected by Sept. 15.

He said the agency was investigating the incident and that the cyber attack highlighted how important it is to monitor important information.

“Once the full nature and extent of this incident is known, the department will implement a full remediation plan,” the agency said in a Q and A section on its website.

More In IT