The Office of Personnel Management has been scanning its networks in the wake of two massive breaches and, as a result announced Monday it had to temporarily shut down one of its systems handling background investigations.

OPM Data Breach: What You Need to Know

The agency suspended use of the e-QIP application, which allows users to fill out and submit background investigation forms online, after a security scan showed the system was vulnerable to attacks.

OPM said in a statement Monday the temporary shutdown was not the result of a specific cyberattack and there is currently no evidence that the application has been compromised.

The e-QIP app is expected to be offline for four to six weeks, OPM said.

Hackers previously gained access to an OPM database containing background investigation data on current, former and prospective federal employees – including highly sensitive information on foreign ties and psychological evaluations. That breach was unearthed after an initial discovery in April, in which the personnel files on some 4.2 million employees were stolen.

"The security of OPM's networks remains my top priority as we continue the work outlined in my IT Strategic Plan, including the continuing implementation of modern security controls," OPM Director Katherine Archuleta said Monday. "This proactive, temporary suspension of the e-QIP system will ensure our network is as secure as possible for the sensitive data with which OPM is entrusted."