“I am a 90 year old CSRS federal employee who plans to retire this year and I am well beyond the 41 years an 11 month limit of the 80% rule. Early in my career I worked for a short time for the federal government. At the end of that period I chose to receive my contributions to the CSRS retirement fund. When I returned to work with the federal government I did not make a redeposit for the refund I’d received. My question is, when I retire, can I request that none of my excess contributions to my retirement fund be applied to a redeposit for my early refunded retirement contribution?

Reg’s Response

OPM will ask you if you want any of your excess contributions applied to a redeposit. And you can tell them no.

Got a question for the Federal Times expert? Send inquiries to: fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Reg Jones, a charter member of the senior executive service, is the resident expert on retirement and the federal government at Federal Times. From 1979 until 1995, he served as an assistant director of the U.S. Office of Personnel Management handling recruiting and examining, white and blue collar pay, retirement, insurance and other issues. Opinions expressed are his own.

In Other News
Load More