“I am a federal employee with 17 years of federal service and 27 years of military service- 2 on active duty and the remainder as a Reservist. I would like to retire soon and would like to do a military buyback. I would like to know if I could buyback all of my active duty (including that performed while in the Reserves), or is it only the active duty for which I have a DD-214.

Reg’s Response

You are correct in assuming that you can make a deposit to get credit for periods of active duty service that are documented with a DD-214. Weekend drills are never creditable Neither are annual active duty for training periods unless they were performed before you were employed as a civilian by the federal government.

Got a question for the Federal Times expert? Send inquiries to: fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Reg Jones, a charter member of the senior executive service, is the resident expert on retirement and the federal government at Federal Times. From 1979 until 1995, he served as an assistant director of the U.S. Office of Personnel Management handling recruiting and examining, white and blue collar pay, retirement, insurance and other issues. Opinions expressed are his own.

In Other News
Load More