“I was terminated with USPS and have been receiving a pension. I had 23 yrs of services and I’m 56 yrs of age right now. Do I qualify for the special retirement supplement?”

Reg’s Response

Yes, because you were involuntarily separated, you are entitled to begin receiving the special retirement supplement when you reach you minimum retirement age. If you were born between 1953 and 1964, your MRA is 56. If you were born after 1964, your MRA would increase by 2 months for every year you were younger than age 57.

Got a question for the Federal Times expert? Send inquiries to: fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Reg Jones, a charter member of the senior executive service, is the resident expert on retirement and the federal government at Federal Times. From 1979 until 1995, he served as an assistant director of the U.S. Office of Personnel Management handling recruiting and examining, white and blue collar pay, retirement, insurance and other issues. Opinions expressed are his own.

In Other News
Load More