Once you retire, the connection to human resources is gone and it can be intimidating trying to determine who to call for what. The following key contact directory, with links to websites, is everything you need to plan for retirement, manage your annuity and benefits, and provide for your survivors in case of your death. Keep this contact information with your important documents.

OPM: Retirees must contact the Office of Personnel Management to initiate changes to their benefits, change allotments or direct deposit, report an annuitant's death, or obtain duplicate 1099-R tax forms and request other services.

Web address: opm.gov/retirement-services or servicesonline.opm.gov
Email: retire@opm.gov
Phone: Toll free 1-888-767-6738 (weekdays between 7:40 a.m. and 5 p.m. Eastern Standard Time)
Fax: 1-724-794-6633 

Note: It is extremely difficult to contact OPM by phone. Try calling either early in the morning (8 a.m. EST) or late in the day (4 p.m. EST) to reduce your wait time if you must call. Have your retirement claim number (CSA number) or Social Security number available. For email inquiries, replies typically take 15 days or more. Online access provides your best interactive experience.

Online services: Federal retirees can access online support to add or change allotments (including adjustments for federal and state tax withholding), print duplicate 1099-R statements, and view monthly annuity statements at servicesonline.opm.gov.

Retirees receive a CSA number and a pin by mail once OPM receives the retirement application and begins processing it. When the application is finalized, the retiree will receive a claims booklet by mail, which includes the CSA number (the pin will come by separate mailing), which allows access to this site.

FEGLI: Call 1-800-633-4542 for life insurance benefits information or to report a death. Death claim form FE-6 is available at opm.gov under "Forms."

Medicare: Call 1-800-633-4227 for assistance 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Enrollment for Medicare Part A or B is on the website for Social Security: ssa.gov.

Social Security: Call 1-800-772-1213 or visit ssa.gov/mystatement.

TSP: For your Thrift Savings Plan, call 1-877-968-3778, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. EST. The website is tsp.gov.

FEHB: For programs and contact numbers, call your provider directly; a contact number is printed on your benefits card and in plan brochures.

Federal Records Centers: The Federal Records Centers is the depository for official personnel folders of persons no longer in federal service. Federal agencies generally transfer employment records to the Federal Records Centers thirty days after the employee has been separated from federal service. No requests for information from personnel or any other type of records will be accepted by telephone or email.

Federal Records Center
National Archives and Records Administration
111 Winnebago Street
St. Louis, Missouri 63118
Phone: 314-801-9250
Fax: 314-801-9269
Email: cpr.center@nara.gov 

Inquiries must include the full name you used when employed by the government, Social Security number, date of birth, and to the extent known former federal employing agencies, addresses and dates of such employment.

In Other News
Load More